Friday, June 3, 2011

Technology is Security

Kinga picked up Grandma, and Steve picked up Kevin from school, and we all arrived at their house at the same time. After touring their lovely new home, Kevin took me to "meet" his playground at the end of the street! He has learned to pump himself on a swing since our last playground adventure many months ago.

Mommy and Daddy sent him off with a Walkie Talkie, so they can keep track of him, and he can respond to home with any questions or concerns. Technology is security!

He pointed out the path into the woods behind the park and was eager to explore it for the first time. Off we went on a hike. I showed him tulip, redbud, oak, and white pine trees. We saw little holes in the ground which he thought were snake holes. I knew they weren't, but was not sure what they were. I had forgotten about detail about the 13 year cicadas in Missouri back in 1985, but I soon was re-educated on them as this is the year of their return! We didn't find a live one, but we saw several wings, such as this one, and holes in the ground everywhere where they escaped from their 13 year development. There was no loud cicada singing tonight, so I think the wave of them must be past.

Kevin found a tree with a face on it! :)

We climbed to the top of a hill and came out at a school. I pulled out Maps on my iPhone (technology is security!) to see where we were in relation to their house. I showed Kevin the map and asked him to follow the blue dot (our location) on the map and lead us back to his house. He needed some help with the orientation of the map, but he did it! He found home!

On the way, he noted the leaves of the street-side trees and thought they were maples. I showed him they are sycamores and pointed out the unique bark.

He wanted to return to the playground to show me what he can do on the monkeybars. Actually, he got stuck up there and needed some help to guide him down. I'm sure he could have done it on his own, but Grandma likes to help!

On our return home, Kevin found a roly poly and had to play with it.

Tonight, big step-brother Cullin and his friend prepared our dinner. Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment