Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10 - A Milestone

Kien turned 2 June 6. June 10th is his Faulkner Gotcha Day which I celebrated by reminding everyone that one year ago, we (Steve, Karin, Kevin, and I) were in Vietnam. Karin and Steve rode out into the mountain country to adopt a darling boy and bring him back to the hotel where Kevin and I had been playing games all day. Kevin's response at seeing his new brother for the first time was, "I can't take my eyes off him. He is so cute." Kien couldn't take his eyes off Kevin either!



What a happy, happy family we were!!! Look at Karin's delight!

On the way home, we had a stopover in Dallas. Cathi and her kids came to the airport to greet Kien. Look at the expression on Cathi's face as she meets, for the first time, Kien who will be her baby! :) Little did any of us know what was going to transpire in 6 months! Karin was delighted that they got up so early to meet Kien! It was a God thing!



At home:




Regularly, I run into people who do not know our tragic story and the ramifications of it. Today, it was an associate doctor in my regular doctor's clinic. My problem: an abscessed finger from being cut by a large popcorn-type can -- a freebie for buying Guinness's food. Of course, she asked about my last tetanus shot. I did not know when it was, but I told her that it was still effective a year ago right now when I was in Vietnam. She asked why, then asked how the adoption is working out. Oh, my... She was traumatized. "I don't know what to say. That is so tragic." I have not developed an appropriate brief response to that reaction. I am speechless as well. The babies are doing well. The rest of us are recovering, but there is a long way to go.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the funny...or not so funny...story about Steve running through a park area to catch a nabber of his. Our favorite was seeing everyone wearing their crocs ;-)

    When the time is right, the words will come to you. And I don't think anyone would expect you to have words or a response. God will give them to you when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no way to say what happened than the way you are saying it. How can you make it into a happy story at this time? When you arrive in Heaven, you will learn the happy ending. Karin will say to you, "See, we lived happily ever after." It will take that to see the end of the story. You can be grateful that the three children thriving but as you say, there is much healing for you, Grant, Steve and others.
    MLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem like yesterday you were all in Vietnam and your blackberry was stolen. The pictures of Karin show her true joy. I wish you could all go back to that happy time and wipe away what was to come.

    ReplyDelete