Friday, February 19, 2010

Continents and Heaven

It is a 45 minute drive to school, but today is the LAST day for that long drive! Steve and Kevin are moving this weekend to an apartment close to Kevin's school until their new house is finished sometime this summer -- which is the whole reason why I am here -- to help with their move.

The end of this long drive cannot come too soon for Steve! Two days ago, he got a speeding ticket trying to make it on time. Steve wrote << Kevin was frustrated that the police officer was making us late! :) But when I told Kevin that I was "in trouble" for going too fast and had to pay money as a punishment, he seemed shocked and maybe like he wanted to cry. Then, when we got moving again, I was reading the ticket while driving, and he said "maybe you shouldn't read while driving, you should do that at home." LOL >>

On our way this morning, we sang Sound of Music songs and talked about lots of things. We prayed too -- for Daddy at work, that we would make it to school on time, that Kevin would have an especially good day at school, because he did not want to go. He wanted to stay home with Grandma. Kevin even joined in with the prayer, but I cannot remember his comment! :\

Somehow the topic of continents came up. I asked him if he knew what a continent is. He said,"No." I started to tell him that we live in North America, and he started singing a continent song naming all the continents! :) So he IS learning about continents at school! :) (I am sure I did not learn about continents in Kindergarten!) He sang the song a few times which ends with -- "don't forget Australia. Don't forget ...." He couldn't remember that one. I suggested Antarctica, and he said, "Yes!" I reminded him that he is one of the very few people I know who has gone completely around the world -- which he accomplished by the age of 4!!! Then we counted the countries he has been in -- 7! So, when we arrived at school, he wanted me to tell each of his teachers that story. They were pleased that he knew the song! We saw an outline of Africa on the wall colored in by one of his classmates. I asked him which continent it was (Africa). Then asked what we had sold that went to Africa. I needed to give him some clues: it was in your dining room; it was big; it made beautiful music. He eyes lit up as he said, "Mommy's harp!"

I was his Show And Tell for Circle Time. :)
I waited for him to paint his mask for their celebration of Chinese New Year today, then left.

He was very sad and teary for me to leave. This evening, I asked if he had cried when I left. He said he had. I asked if his teachers knew. "No, I hid behind something." Such a sweet boy!

On the way back to their place, I stopped to see Karin's grave. Our pink roses still look good, and someone had left a bouquet of red and white flowers on her grave!!! How sweet! I wonder who...

I spent the day putting the apartment in order, doing laundry, then began packing. Then I went to pick up Kevin from his after school program. He was having fun with a little girl making creations out of blocks big and small. They created a beach with the large blocks, then had a dance. He twirled her around several times! Quite the little Romeo!



The cemetery is on the way home, so I stopped for Kevin to see the new bouquet.

The stick he had left on her grave 3 weeks ago was thrown aside. He drew a "K" in the dirt and placed it behind her marker again.

He kept saying, "I miss Mommy so much." And I told him that I do too! I was particularly struck by her absence yesterday when I arrived at the airport and came down this escalator to Baggage Claim. She was always there waiting for me. So many memories of meeting her there flooded my mind and eyes. That was where we first saw Kevin as they came down the escalator on their return from Russia 5.5 years ago!

Look at the gang that was there to meet them on July 19, 2004!!!


Kevin and Daddy had some silly time tonight.

2 comments:

  1. The Montessori Continent Song: "There are seven continents in the world, this is what they are: there's North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Don't forget Australasia. Don't forget Antartica. Tehre are seven continents in the world. That is what they are!" I'm going to have Leia and Kevin sing this at his birthday party. : ) Leia remembers it very well. We have her sand-art continent map framed in her bathroom. : ) (Did they really teach him "Australia"? Usually Montessori sticks with "Australasia." LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't expecting the pictures from Kevin's homecoming! In some ways,. . . it seems like Leia Rose and I made that sign just yesterday. So nice to see Karin's smile!

    ReplyDelete