Monday, January 4, 2010

Going Home

Saying goodbye to Grampy.

We had one inch of snow on the ground this morning! We skipped doggie park in favor of playing in the snow! Guinny was tied to a tree instead.

An angel. Note the "hair" created by footsteps! Mommy's hair, of course.



This character is not an angel, but he is cute.

Once packed up and in the car, Kevin started crying -- actually sobbing -- for at least 20 minutes! "I miss Guinny Winny. I love Guinness. Why can't he come too?" Poor boy. Nothing appeased him.

My itinerary for this trip was a bit risky even in good weather, but the timing worked. We arrived at the airport in Buffalo starving for lunch, but the good restaurant near our gate was closed. That left us without better choices: a hot dog, popcorn, and cookies.

Kevin had mentioned a couple of days ago while in the car that he needed to write thank you notes for his gifts. Grandma was negligent in remembering. On the plane, he said, "I didn't make my thank you cards!" I reminded him that we had a notepad in his carryon and that I could mail them for him. His face brightened with delight. He wanted me to write "Thank you" and the person's name. Then he sketched pictures and signed his name. That took up much of the short trip to Cleveland. On the next leg of the trip, we both slept! Conversely, on our trip last week, I barely had enough activities in my bag to keep him busy for the entire trip!


As we came down the escalator to Baggage Claim, Daddy got down on his knees to be at Kevin's height. Kevin rushed him, knocking Daddy over; then the two wrestled, squealed, tickled, and rolled all over the floor for at least 10 minutes or more having a blast! What a happy reunion!



We gathered Kevin's luggage -- the suitcase he brought plus one of my suitcases with his Christmas presents. I also packed 2 large paper shopping bags to empty my case into so that I could bring my suitcase back home. I walked with them to their car, said my goodbyes, and walked to the other terminal through the parking garage. On the other side, I could hear some wails that sounded familiar. Steve emailed, "Kevin cried the whole way home, about 20 minutes, in total anguish – both for you and Guinness. But once we got home he was ok."

Steve and I both said that this trip has to happen again sooner than later!!!

Grampy called me as I was traveling home and said that Guinness was missing in the house. He found him sleeping on Kevin's bed!!! Guinness was missing Kevin too!!!

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet and special time for both of you! I love to see grandparents make an effort to be part of their grandkids lives. You have always done a fabulous job with that. Lucky, lucky kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears....of happiness of your time together and wonderful reunion of father/son, tears of sadness for guiness and Kevin....What a blessing this trip was! and I bet dad is renewed for the new year. You gave Steve a nice gift as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet Kevin was pleased to know that Guiness really missed him too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the sledding on the "dusting" of snow. LOL! : ) I find it ironic that there was more in Texas! : ) Such a wonderful memory for Kevin, . . . and I even love the tears for Grandma and Guinness when Kevin got home, . . . and the special photo of the daddy/Kevin reunion. : )

    ReplyDelete