Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday

Our trip to doggie park this morning became a nature walk. We talked about pine trees versus spruce trees and collected samples. We walked in the middle of a grove of huge spruce trees where there is a "sanctuary" inside. We found a tree to climb.




Here is our collection, although some pieces never made it home: pine and blue spruce needles (We also saw green spruce. Kevin noted the difference before I pointed it out!), spruce cones -- open and closed and eaten by a squirrel. We also found lots of squirrel nests in the trees. Kevin found a burdock!

Then we were off to church. Kevin decorated his nametag with a pink angel which he said represented Mommy. He said that I was the purple angel, since purple is my favorite color.

As is typical even in his own church, he wanted me to stay with him in his church-time class. Since I have never been involved in the education program of our church, I really had no idea what it was like. The teacher read the story of Jesus healing ten lepers and only one said thank you, using one photo to illustrate the story. That story that could have been easy to illustrate with small figures or puppets, or role playing. Then, the children were given 2010 calendars to color -- each month illustrating a Bible story, but they were not told what the January story was which they colored. TWICE Kevin told his teacher, "My Mommy died. She is in heaven now." The teacher heard him, but did NOT say a word in reply! Then it was free play time. What? Why couldn't they have done a thank you song or played a game or role played the happy former lepers? It was definitely more babysitting than teaching. They lined up to go back to church too early and had to stand there for about five minutes.

We went to lunch at Cora's -- which has awesome fruit presentations. Kevin loved his waffle covered in fruit.

A closer look...

Since Thursday, Gankie and his thumb have been indispensable. I asked him if he was trying to look like a nun from The Sound of Music!

Cora's gives out free fudge pieces.

The Blacks invited us over this afternoon to see Kevin and for Kevin to play with their toy poodle Sasha. They gave him a large bag full of little toys! I hope they all fit in his suitcase tomorrow!




Kevin asked about Aria at lunch, so I told him that I would show him pictures of her on my computer. He loved them! He noted she lives in a beautiful house, has two nice big, yellow dogs, and her Christmas stocking is identical to Mommy's (an angel playing the harp)! He commented on how much he liked her and misses her.

Tonight, Kevin ripped red tissue paper into strips and tied them everywhere around the house. He told me that he was decorating my house. Here are pictures of five of the millions! (I'm going to have "fun" getting rid of all of them in the days to come!)





He wanted me to play more Christmas carols on the piano tonight. Then he asked for Sound of Music songs.

While at Blacks, it started to snow and stick. By tonight, we have about one inch covering the ground. We prayed that it will stay until morning so that we can slide down hill! Kevin also prayed asking God to tell Mommy that we love her and miss her.

At the beginning of the week, I suggested to Kevin that Guinness could sleep with him. He was not overjoyed with that idea! However, he is so used to Guinness now and loves him so much that I thought it just might work tonight. After we read our bedtime story, I called Guinness in, he jumped on the bed, and I said "Goodnight." I expect they both will snooze peacefully until morning. Guinness will want to wake up before Kevin, so we will have to be diligent to not have Kevin awake at 7 AM too!

7 comments:

  1. Another wonderful day. Of course, I'm especially fond of the nature walk, trees and such! It's fun to hear about Kevin's decorations for the house. Chloe did quite a bit of this, too. One day it was lining the arms and backs of upholstered furniture with pre-made Xmas bows. Another it was twisting sparkly pipe cleaners to every item she could reach and finally a note of the MBR door 'no mommy or daddy' so she and Storey could work their magic in that room, too. It was quite precious! I see you times are much the same. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing teacher! That shows so much in the stories of this week. You are constantly teaching him and showing him things, and even your complaints about the church kid's class show that you have creative ideas which you could have pulled off with little or no prep. I've taught some children's church and I would not have come up with those creative ideas you did. Kevin is sooo blessed to have you as a grandmother!

    Sadly, it makes me see that my parenting of Kevin is closer to babysitting than teaching. I love him, but teaching is not natural for me. I know the same is true for other parents; it isn't just me. I know of some mothers that were very eager to go back to work, not because they are so ambitious, but because being a teacher and homemaker are not natural or enjoyable for them. Why do some kids get wonderfully natural and gifted parents, and some kids get parents who's best is kinda weak, and some kids get parents that are much much worse?.. God only knows. It's one thing to accept unfairness of life in the experience of adults, but it is more sobering to realize the unfairness of life that occurs even to the young.

    Anyhow, just seeing the examples of your teaching may help me to do slightly better. I wish all parents could be mentored with examples of how to be good teachers from those that do it well.

    Love you! Looking forward to a hug from my amazing boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the harp on Aria's angel stocking intentional by her family? Really cool either way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, sweet stories. And interesting comments from Steve. I think Steve has hit the nail on the head when he says teaching and good parenting seem to come naturally to some and not to others. Jane Goodall did a very interesting study of parenting in chimps. She noted that female chimps who had very good parenting were much more likely to be good mothers themselves. I think that generally extends to Homo sapiens too. Kevin's angels bring tears.... Kevin is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't beat yourself up! You are doing a fine job with Kevin! Everyone has their gifts, and one parent is not necessarily better than another parent. You teach Kevin things that I could never teach him, and you take him to exciting places that I would never go.

    Mothers typically are more nurturing than fathers. Your WIFE was the BEST mother ever!!!! I learned a much from her! She actually made lesson plans for Kevin's daily instruction (not on paper, but in her mind). She spent her days teaching Kevin, and then Kien too.

    Then there are many children who excel in spite of their parents! So parenting isn't the only factor in making a child successful. The key is to do the best job that you are capable of doing for the benefit of your child. That is all that can be asked of any parent.

    We pray for you everyday! ;-) :*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at Aria at Christmas! I loved seeing these! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very touching reading Steve's comment and then your response. What special bonds are being made here!

    ReplyDelete