Monday, April 12, 2010

Birthday Celebration at School

This morning, I drove Kevin to school. His teachers all made a big deal about it being his birthday as soon as he came in the door! He wanted me to stay for Circle Time. He was chosen to put the number "12" on the calendar today. After I left him, I dropped off cupcakes at his after school program to have with his friends there this afternoon.

Steve and I returned to school at 11:40 for Kevin's birthday celebration. The kids were on the playground when we arrived, so we went out to watch them. I took these pictures without Kevin even realizing I was there! It was so interesting to listen to and watch him at play with his friends. He definitely was in charge, telling them what to do and explaining how.




Another child came over to Kevin and said, "We need your help!" Not sure what that was all about or even what Kevin's response was.

When we went inside, it was time to recognize Kevin's birthday. He walked around a sun in the middle while holding a small globe as the class chanted a rhyme about 365 days.


Steve understood he was to bring photos of Kevin as a baby and when they brought him home from Russia. I helped him prepare the photos. But he actually was to have brought pictures of each year of Kevin's life. Oops!

Daddy had to wing what Kevin had done each year, and I contributed some info too.

We had prepared two family photos including Mommy. Steve told the children that Kevin's Mommy died when Kevin was 4. One of the teachers said that we probably cried a lot. I said, "And we still do!"

I have never heard Kevin express why his Mommy died. Today he said, "Mommy got sick. She had a crack in her bone in her back." It was very sweet.

After Kevin handed out napkins to everyone, he gave his Daddy big hugs. Then the muffins he had helped me make were passed out to everyone.


Then it was time for Daddy and Grandma to leave. I got big hugs and kisses. Twice, he started to cry, and I said, "No crying on your birthday!" and he smiled.

2 comments:

  1. I just love the Montessori birthday party celebration!!! Kevin was smart about what he remembered about Mommy! I'm so glad he didn't cry right there, though. Karin would want him to be happy on that day. You're right, no tears on your birthday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet. I love that last picture.

    ReplyDelete