Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Africa and Antics

This morning, Kevin wanted me to stay with him for Circle Time at his Montessori school. As you may recall from several months ago, I discovered that Kevin was introduced to continents at school and he knew a song naming them all. This month, they are learning about Africa; today was discussion on Egypt. When shown a picture, Kevin was the first to identify King Tut (I have told him about King Tut). Something I learned today is -- why is Africa called The Dark Continent? Because it was the last continent to have electricity.

At lunchtime, I made up my Rotary meeting for this week by attending the local Rotary Club which met at the Y where we experienced World Vision's walk-through exhibit titled "Step into Africa" emphasizing the AIDS crisis. A phenomenal, heart-stirring experience!

After school, I informed Kevin that we had errands to run. Big tears. Oh, my... Our first stop was Old Navy to find some additional summer shirts and shorts. He left with the desired clothing plus a hula hoop and a big rubber bone for his new puppy. As I was paying for our items, I turned around to see Kevin kibitzing with the manikins! That is not a purse strap across the manikin; it is his hula hoop!!!

Once in the car, he admitted that it wasn't so bad after all. Easy for him to say!

Next stop was Sears for passport photos as his passport will expire in a few months. I wanted to gather all the information and documents I could to help Steve accomplish the task on time. No complaints about having his picture taken, but he did have trouble not smiling!

Then while I searched for vacuum bags, he bounced on mattresses. Oh, my...



Barnes & Noble was across the street, and Kevin still needed to spend his B&N birthday gift card from Uncle Greg and Aunt Cathi. He wanted to buy out the store! And Grandma couldn't refuse, so Grampy's pockets supplanted the deficit.

Last stop: McDonald's with a play area. But first, Grandma accidentally got on the highway and had to travel about 10 miles to get to the McDonald's across the street. Oh, my...

Then home, watched a home video of our Walt Disney World trip in 2007 on Grandma's laptop (because I can't make the fancy, complicated TV equipment work... :\ ), bath, and bed.

1 comment:

  1. I'm about to do the whole "passport" thing for all of us, too. *sigh* Not looking forward to it, . . . but I want to be able to go into Canada to visit you next time we visit Buffalo (which may be sooner rather than later). : )

    ReplyDelete