Monday, November 22, 2010

Books and Such

One of Karin's friends wrote to me as a result of yesterday's post, empathizing how I must feel about the loss of my deeply spiritual Karin, visiting her church, and her family no longer attending church. The pain is not quite that way. I love being with her friends! She lives on in the lives of her friends and family who loved her. She planted enough of a seed for spiritual hunger in Kevin that he longs to go to church, to hear Bible stories, and to sing worship songs. I am grateful for that! If they had not moved from their house close to the church, it would be easy to ask someone to pick him up. Though they are not far from the church now, it would be an imposition.

While going through the boxes and boxes of books Karin bought for her children, her legacy lives on. She gave them a wonderful foundation in reading and learning. When Kevin was 2-3 years old, he was pushy with other children, so she bought "The Gentle Hand." She also has a darling book on manners. There are several books about the peoples of the world, an atlas, and children of all colors. She bought every book she could find expressing a sensitivity to adoptive families. She has Bible story books and lessons in Christian living stories. After her diagnosis, I remember watching her read such a story to Kevin and her personal explanation of Christ living in our lives. It was better than I would ever have done! As a librarian, I knew "Rainbow Fish" to be a classic, but apparently I had never read it. I think I suggested she order it from a Scholastic list. When it came, we were both disgusted by the story. It was not a political agenda either of us favor. The brand new classic went in the trash as she carefully orchestrated what their young minds should absorb.

The dogs continue to tussle constantly. They are so happy together!!


Yesterday, Kevin announced didn't want to go to school today; he wanted to stay home with Grandma. As a result we had some tears while parting at school. During the school day, the family room drapes were installed. When he walked in, he didn't notice at first. Daddy had to tell him to look up.

Wearing his reindeer antlers and playing with the dogs.

Steve's girlfriend came for dinner tonight. Kevin got a little wild and crazy.

Bedtime came so late that I said, "No story tonight. We will sing a Christmas carol." We had read Kincaid's "Silent Night" last night and poured over the paintings. He suggested that we all sing that one, and he made sure our guest saw every page and many of the hidden "N"s.

1 comment:

  1. We threw that book away, too! LOL! Yet another connection with Karin! Gosh, we shared so many things! : ) I am definitely one of the friends that Karin lives on within. I am getting a fleu-de-lis patch for her special pink jacket this year. I just love wearing it!

    ReplyDelete