Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Memories, Leaves, Pastry, and Books

During school, I returned some things I inadvertently had bought at GapKids, and checked out what was available at Gymboree. As I paid, they asked if I was part of their club. I gave them Steve's phone number and Karin Faulkner came up. I explained that she was deceased; we changed the name to Steve Faulkner. The one clerk said she remembers Karin shopping there. They asked how old the child is for whom I purchased the clothes and how he is doing. Then one asked, "Wasn't there another one?" So I told them about Kien and Aria. She said, "I thought so. I remember that story." Two years later, and strangers remember! As I type this, I do recall going to the mall and into Gymboree with Karin pushing the "twins" in the double stroller! It was difficult to maneuver in the store. Also, people at the grocery store, who do the online order shopping, remember her well and often speak of her or ask how everyone is doing, as they have this week when I shopped. Nothing makes me happier than to know people remember my precious daughter and speak of her.

While taking the dogs out for a potty run, we spotted some huge brown leaves from a young tree. They are similar to the shape of a maple leaf, but the baby tree with such large leaves must be a sycamore. We also found a couple of pine cones, Kevin scooped up some pine needles too, and we searched for some red leaves. He created this centerpiece with his findings:

We made a chicken pot pie for dinner. He helped stir the filling while cooking. What a big boy now that I can trust him using the stove! He wanted to put the top crust on, and did it perfectly!


Then he helped me flute the edges and decorated the top.

This evening, I showed Kevin some fun Websites including the Hallelujah Chorus by the Opera Company of Philadelphia in Macy's -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU and a Canadian chorus doing a similar thing in a mall food court -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE. He is such a good ear for music and sings so well; he was singing along with the Hallelujah Chorus after only hearing it a couple of times! And we watched Mommy play Silent Night -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1naZ-16tBXw&feature=autofb. He loved that and wanted to see it again.

After reading a couple Christmas books of his choice, I suggested we start going through some of his "Bob" books. His books have been in storage for well over a year. I have spent the past couple of days sorting them out and finding a new home for them in his new bedroom. The "baby" books will be going to Kien and Gabe along with outgrown clothes. Mommy started using the Bob books with Kevin close to three years ago, and he was doing very well at beginning reading. Tonight, he found quite a bit of joy in reading them and picking up on the humor. I actually had never caught the humor in them until he read them tonight. We made it through about a dozen of them before his brain was too tired to function any more.

2 comments:

  1. Such fun times together!! Hey...who's your blog friend in Nashville? Someone I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to hear about people remembering my precious friend, Karin. The whole post brought tears to my eyes (yet again).

    ReplyDelete