Saturday, November 27, 2010

Grampy Arrived!

For brunch, Kevin and I went to Bruegger's Bagels and Caribou Coffee (in the same location). We had breakfast bagel sandwiches and coffee/hot chocolate. They had Christmas Silly Bandz on the counter, so we had to get some. Plus push-over Grandma bought him a cute gingerbread man cookie. Why do they always look so cute and taste so awful?!

Kevin and I went to Target to buy a curtain rod for his room. Also, I asked him to go through all the toy aisles and tell me what he wants for Christmas, and I noted all his choices which I also shared with Daddy. I did this with him last year too. He had more difficulty understanding last time, as he really wanted me to buy him something that day. Now he comprehends that he will get one or two of his choices under the tree at Christmas, but I am not giving away any hints as to what it could be.
At home, we worked on installing the curtain rod. Kevin was very helpful!

Last week, I finally was successful in talking Grampy into flying to NC today to help me drive home. His flight arrived mid-afternoon. After we picked him up, we went to the cemetery to visit Karin as Grampy had not been there in a year. We needed to remove the fall flowers and insert her Christmas/winter wreath. Kevin removed an artificial leaf from the fall arrangement and wanted to place it on Mommy's marker. Grampy suggested he put it in the crevice around the vase which we now had turned upside-down into the ground. We are sure that Mommy will like the special leaf her little boy placed there for her.


Shortly after we arrived, a group of people arrived, encircling a grave not too far from Karin's. It seemed like a Thanksgiving gathering of family and friends who had come to commune with their loved one -- a 31 year old man who died in October.

Kevin was his normal, happy self running around looking at the other graves. A couple of days ago, we found two new baby graves in Mommy's section called "The Angels' Garden." He happily skipped off asking Daddy to come with him to see the graves. I hoped he wasn't disturbing the mourners with his youthful exuberance.

When he returned, partly to occupy him, I suggested that we sing to Mommy. We serenaded Mommy with "Silent Night" then "Hark the Herold Angels Sing."

Steve and I headed for the car when I noted Kevin was kneeling on the ground with Grampa beside him.


The poor boy started to cry! He has never cried in all the times I have brought him to the cemetery with me! The tears turned to uncontrollable sobs shaking his little body! It was so pitiful! I am not sure what caused it, but he did not completely stop crying until quite a while after leaving the cemetery.

I neglected to blog earlier in the week about a conversation Kevin and I had about his class at church. He said, "I really wish I could be in Mommy and Daddy’s class at church. Mommy used to teach kids. I loved being in her class."

Our next stop was the storage unit Steve has not emptied yet. We needed to find the Christmas tree (check), the harp figurines (check) to go in Karin's curio cabinet which I took home in September. But there were other things we did not find. Steve said he got rid of Kevin's toys last year, but I was hoping they would turn up in storage. They did not. There used to be more tree ornaments than the half box that is in Steve's garage. But they seem to be no more as well.

Grampy was exhausted and took a nap before dinner with two doggies eager to rest as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment