Saturday, September 25, 2010

Moving Day

Kevin digs right into work projects, sticks to a job, and is quite helpful! The movers were amazed at his ability and stick-to-it-iveness.

He was on guard watch in the outside hallway and stairs, letting them know if it was "all clear."

He was of significant help in holding the end of the “Saran Wrap” in place until they wrapped it around the object one or two times.



Kevin did his part to be helpful in every way!

When we arrived at the new house with truck in tow, I ushered the two dogs into the mud room to spend their day. Steve’s new hardwood floors are exceptionally beautiful – wide boards with variegated, dark, wood tones. Kevin helped me deliver their toys to the dogs, and I warned him that the dogs (especially Guinness) MUST stay in there to be out of the way and to prevent them from scratching the floor on the first day in the house. Within 5 minutes, Kevin had let them out, and I nailed them while racing through the main level. Once corralled, I was showing the lead mover where all the rooms are and what they are termed on the boxes. He pointed out the scratches on the floor outside the mud room towards the billiard room (built to be a dining room). AARRRGGGHHH! Before Steve had even walked into the house!!! I guess, floor scratches don’t mean much to a 6 year old. He let them (at least, Jack) out later when I was not around. I was relieved to hear the marks on the family room floor were carved by Jack.

I bought a box of muffins for us this morning. Steve and I each had one. Not sure how Guinness and Jack divided them up... :\


As the mover was reassembling the kitchen table, Kevin watched what he did, saw him unscrew the washer, and copied him. Kevin attached two of the legs on the table himself! The mover only had to tighten the screws.



The realtor brought Steve a basket of goodies as a thank you for the business. It included some books for Kevin and a punch balloon. Kevin had fun making a tail of the punch balloon. Heather was Kevin’s nanny (picked by Karin) from when Karin went in the hospital the final time until he started “Kindergarten” (though he is actually in a Montessori school).


The builder planted a lone tree in backyard. Steve’s neighbor on one side has a fully planted yard and even a bluebird box! Since they must face east, we have the view of the birds’ entrance. I figured the chances were good that we would one day see a bluebird! An hour later, we did! THREE of them in Steve’s tree!!!! Within five minutes, Kevin, Heather, and I saw in that tree – 3 bluebirds, 6 starlings, 2 sparrows, 1 goldfinch, 3 Eastern towhees, plus I saw a mockingbird in the neighbor’s yard. Not bad!! Kevin also saw a hummingbird which I missed, but no doubt he was correct as the neighbors have two hummingbird feeders. While they lived in the apartment at the lake, birds were plentiful. I feared a new yard with no established trees would be barren of feathered friends.

Would you believe… Steve took Kevin camping tonight with his singles group!!! ?? :-0 And there is a house to settle! So I took the night off too. Heather and I went out to dinner and had a fun girls’ gab session. I did unpack Kevin’s clothes and some of his room decorations. His last bedroom (in their house a year ago) was a dinosaur theme – one of his loves and still appropriate. But Daddy says his new room will be a horse room. WHAT???? He knows NOTHING about horses; has no interest in horses. Steve’s new girlfriend and her family of three girls are crazy about horses and take riding lessons. Maybe I need to explain to Steve that a love of horses is a girl thing – like ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment