Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On the Way to Visit Kevin!

I drove to NC with Guinness, leaving home at 7:45 AM, arriving at 10:00 PM. In spite of the long drive, the scenery was captivating, lifting my spirits and invigorating the soul!

In Ontario, New York, and Pennsylvania, the trees are beginning to turn.

When I reached the mountains of West Virginia, I put in a favorite CD of pipe organ and voices singing majestic hymns from Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in CA, where Karin and Steve met, and sang at the top of my lungs! I listened to the same CD three times and prayed I wouldn't be stopped for speeding.

I was reminded of driving with Karin to Greenville the summer of 1993 (I think) for the wedding of Kim Cochran-Price, Karin's friend. Karin was the harpist for the reception. We were in bliss listening to the wondrous tapes of the Furman Orchestra and Furman Singers when a cop stopped me. He was coming from the other direction, did a U turn through a median drive to catch me. He asked if I knew how fast I was going. I told him, "I have no idea, sir. We are so entranced with your beautiful state and listening to fabulous music, that I was not paying attention to my speed." When he told me (probably 80 or 85, I don't remember), I said with affected sincerity, "Thanks for stopping me!" He gave me a ticket, but, with his thick, slow accent said, "You don't have to pay this. West Virginia has no reciprocity with Canada."

Today, again, I was blessed by the glorious music, filling my heart to overflowing. The hymns reminded me of my angel daughter:

Finish, then, Thy new creation;
Pure and spotless let us be.
Let us see Thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in Thee;
Changed from glory into glory,
Till in heaven we take our place,
Till we cast our crowns before Thee,
Lost in wonder, love, and praise.

and

O may this bounteous God
through all our life be near us,
with ever joyful hearts
and blessed peace to cheer us;
and keep us still in grace,
and guide us when perplexed;
and free us from all ills,
in this world and the next.

Besides the bugs on the windshield, these pictures lose something in translation, unfortunately. It was a gorgeous day to contemplate God's beauty and His goodness. The mountains shout the glories of God!







One of two tunnels through mountains in Virginia.



Of course, Kevin was sound asleep. I gave him some kisses.

Jack, Kevin's puppy is growing! He and Guinness LOVE each other!!!! They had a wonderful time playing and settled down well together.

2 comments:

  1. I love the words to that hymn. I don't think I've heard it before though. Maybe I can find it on Youtube. :) I laughed after reading, "Thanks for stopping me!" Nice pictures, especially considering you were driving while taking them! haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO enjoy this kind of driving trip, too; alone with music to inspire singing and eyes to see the wonder of nature scroll by. The hours just fly!! And I've driven Rt. 79 down the length of West Virginia and think I stopped at the same scenic view you did. =)

    So happy for this time of deep joy for you. That is the prayer of your friends and the protection of your Father God.

    ReplyDelete