Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Bumpy Day

This sight greeted me this morning. Guinness steals towels and shoes and grabs food whenever he can, but he doesn't rip up a toilet paper roll. That is puppy play; right, Jack?!

This morning, I had to shower in Steve's masterbath, as "my" hallway bath had a first coat of paint yesterday, and they were coming to do the second coat today. I carefully (I thought) locked the door. As I was drying off, Kevin came walking in! :-0

I was supposed to leave today, but the weather report for north of here where I want to tour is high winds and heavy rains. Not good for touring! Besides, I had not accomplished all my deeds yet.

After taking Kevin to school, Steve took Jack to the vet. While they were gone, I shut Guinness in the mud room to make sure he would not make any more scratches on the hardwood. When Jack returned, he went to the mud room door and whined to be let in with Guinny. True love!

Steve and I drove two cars to the apartment to finish bringing everything home. As soon as we opened the door, we could hear water running. Either the sprinkler system was leaking or something was causing water around the kitchen sprinkler to gush to the floor. The flood on the kitchen floor was just beginning to be deep enough to run over the metal carpet ridge and begin soaking the carpet. Life is a drama! Fortunately, a couple of days ago, I boxed up everything that was left on the kitchen counters.

I mailed more of Kevin's outgrown clothes and belongings to Kien and Gabe, and mailed Karin's Greenville, SC, throw blanket to MLE. I offered it on Facebook last week as Steve has no interest in keeping it.

At lunchtime, Steve told me that he and his girlfriend broke up last night. Probably that impending moment was causing him to be testy this week aside from the stress of the move! I can't feel too badly, because I know this one was not Karin's pick, although she had the coincidence of having the same last name as the director of Karin's (and Greg's) preschool program many years ago. Steve says I am a bad omen, because, three times, a relationship has ended while I was with him.

This afternoon, I delivered Karin's flowers to her and had a little chat.

I did some grocery shopping today so that I could make dinner at home -- the first home-cooked dinner (meager as it was) in the new house.

Something weird happened to Kevin's schedule this afternoon. On Thursdays, Kevin is in a Lego program after school (at school) until 4:30. According to his teachers, Kevin said that I was not picking him up today, because I had flown home. What?! I didn't fly here! And we did not say "goodbye" this morning! Anyway, when I went to pick him up, they had sent him to his "after school" program a couple of blocks away. When I arrived at after school, he seemed especially jubilant there. Kevin insisted, with tears, he never said I had flown home. Oh, well... Then I discovered that he did not have his school bag, including his lunch containers and Daddy's drink container he had to take today, because he left/lost his at school the previous day! With screams and tears, he wanted to go back to school to look for his bag on the sidewalk. I told him I was just there and it was not; besides, now the doors would be locked. He was very upset. ugh! I had planned to take him shopping for some pumpkins and scarecrow, etc. to put on his front porch, but I was not in the mood nor was he focused. Or was he? Could he have decided he wanted to go to after school instead of the Lego program???

Kevin LOVES his dog! :)

While I cleaned up the kitchen, Daddy and Kevin created a castle.

Daddy helped me load Karin's curio cabinet into my vehicle. It's purpose was to display harp figurines -- most of which her Dad and I had bought whenever we found a harp. They are still in storage. One thing at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Nina, the Greenville throw arrived today. Thank you so much for sending it to me. I promptly showed it to Tom and he likes it very much also. I had not planned to wash it until you said you saw a doggy hair and so I did after all. I treated it very gently and it looks great. It means so much to me to have something that was Karin's and this is particularly appropriate since it is all about Greenville where our friendship began many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin's resting place looks BEAUTIFUL, Nina! Oh my, and I remember Karin adoring her Kevin building with those! (And what beautiful words from MLE about the Furman throw!)

    ReplyDelete