Sunday, December 19, 2010

Activities and Angels

I pulled out the advent calendar I made for Karin and Greg many years ago. Since Kevin didn't arrive until the 17th, he can add three ornaments per day to the calendar.

When Kevin is here, I try to spend some time teaching him to play the piano. This week, we are using an old Mel Bay Christmas carol book. He is beginning to really catch on! :) He goes to the piano on his own and tries playing new songs.

Kevin played in the snow in our yard this morning.

He drew this angel in the snow and said it was Mommy.

He climbed a redbud tree, couldn't get down, and called for help. When I saw him, I told him to hold on while I ran for my camera and asked Grampa to rescue him.



The funeral for Great Uncle Duane was this afternoon. The family gathered in an anteroom with a window facing the cemetery behind the church where men were completing placing the vault with a small crane. The grandsons and Kevin were intrigued by the process. Each of the grandsons created a picture or note to place in Grandpa's casket. Each was a sweet tribute to a loving grandfather.

The liturgical service, full of meaning, was meticulously developed by Duane, beginning with a processional of the immediate family, including grandsons, following the casket into the sanctuary. I don't think I have ever cried so much at a funeral, yet left buoyed with the love of God. Kevin and the grandsons stayed with a babysitter during the service and made crafts. Kevin used a pipecleaner to decorate himself.

They also made halos.

No comments:

Post a Comment