Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus!

Kevin climbed into our bed at 6:30 AM. I assumed he was excited about Christmas and awakened early, but he said he had a nightmare. He dreamed he didn't have a Mommy or a Daddy. Enough to frighten any little boy!!! He was soon sound asleep snuggled up next to me.

Grampa and I were up long before Kevin awakened again. Kevin opened his stocking first, finding a note from Santa explaining he was delivering Kevin's gifts to North Carolina as Kevin's suitcase was not big enough to hold them. Santa also wrote, "Don't be upset you forgot to leave any cookies or milk. I am too fat anyway." Oh, my... we DID totally forget!!!

Kevin saw these dinosaur slippers at the GAP last month when we were shopping for his winter wardrobe. Grandma refused to buy them then. ha! He is dancing a happy dance twirling around and around.

Christmas dinner -- just the three of us. The numbers are small, but love for all.

While I was cleaning up the kitchen, Kevin was playing the piano. Eventually, I noted I was clearly hearing "Joy to the World" -- the notes and rhythm to those first four words of the song, then noises of frustration, repeatedly. He was playing it by EAR!!! He was not reading it from the beginner book showing colors for hand, numbers for fingers. He was playing with one finger, but doing it from having picked out the notes by himself!!!! At the word "world," he didn't know where to go. It is actually a very easy tune as it simply moves down the octave note by note, and he had chosen to play it in C making it simpler. I showed him how to finish the song while exclaiming over his feat! I told him, I was learning to play at age 6, but I could not play by ear at all. We uncovered another budding talent!

I made four ice stars over the past few weeks to have a luminaria with Kevin. At dusk, we placed two at the front and two at the back. We lit candles for the dinner table. He apparently noted where the matches were stored, because he brought them to me! And he seemed totally unafraid of them. When we were finished, they went into hiding!

We intended to have our Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus cake this morning for breakfast. but... it didn't work out that way.
Kevin gave Guinness a party hat too. He seemed to enjoy wearing it as he had it on for nearly an hour before I removed it!

We finally sat down at suppertime to have our birthday party for Jesus. We are singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. The cake is ANGELfood, frosted by Kevin with real whipped cream, and topped with strawberries.

Note the star candles! Too perfect! :)

Before bedtime, we drove around ooohing and ahhhing at Christmas lights.

While he was playing in the tub, I cut a slice of fruitcake, and returned to him eating it. He wanted a taste. And another... and another! I had to cut a second slice! A 6 year old who likes fruitcake!!! :-0 Well, it is the most fabulous fruitcake -- made by Collin Street Bakery out of Texas - http://www.collinstreet.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment