Sunday, December 26, 2010

Travel and Wise Men

This morning, the news was all about the impending storm sweeping the Eastern Coast of the US -- all the way from Alabama to Boston -- including 5 inches in Raleigh! Flights all along the storm path will be canceled -- including Kevin's and my flight tomorrow to Dallas through Philadelphia! Phone lines are jammed and websites will not complete transactions. We are stuck at home for several days, I fear. Although, we have NO new snow!

While I spent mega-time on the travel problem, Kevin began creating his Crayola Color Fillz which uses a Play-Doh-like substance to fill in a mosaic Toy Story scene.

To toss one more jerk into our day, American Express called to say that someone is running up charges on my card since Dec. 22.

Since Mommy is gone, Kevin does not often pray before meals. Grampa has asked him several times to pray, and he is beginning to respond. He prayed tonight asking God to tell Mommy we love her.

Tonight, the three of us went to see "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." It is rated PG due to "scary scenes." Kevin was sure he wouldn't be scared, although, he was not able to watch all of the "Toy Story 3" DVD I bought him! It was too scary. Being an adventure story, the majority of the show keeps your anticipation level high, plus it is in 3D which can make frightening scenes worse. He said he would take his glasses off if he was too scared. I kept asking him if he was scared, and he said he was fine, until near the end when he climbed into my lap.

It has been too many years since I took a class studying the Narnia series. I know it is full of meaning and symbolism, but I would have to research my notes for clarification. Grampa has never read the series and didn't find much redeeming value in the movie. But Kevin and I enjoyed the raw adventure of it! In fact, one of the quotes I noted from the movie is -- "There is no honor in avoiding adventure" (or something close to that).

A family tradition I established with my kids was celebrating the 12 Days of Christmas. One of our activities was, on the 26th, to move the Wise Men from the Nativity scene to the farthest point from the Manger in the house. Each day, they took turns moving them closer to the Creche, until, on Epiphany - Jan. 6, the Wise Men find the Christ Child. Kevin moved the Wise Men to a windowsill in my bedroom tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment