Saturday, November 28, 2009

Memories

We had to say goodbye this morning. Kevin cried and Grandma did too! What a sweet boy! Somehow or other, Grandma and Grandpa need to move closer!!!

In spite of rain in our eyes, the skies were cloudless and beautiful! My new SUV has a humongous sunroof so that it is almost a convertible! Guinness loves it! In fact, Kevin does too! A few days ago, he stayed in the car with Grampy while I went into a post office. When I came out, Kevin was rising out of the roof waving and yelling by standing on the console between the two front seats. Always one to attract attention! I reached in my purse for my camera, but, alas, it was not there.


As we drove along, reliving our recent days, Grant reminded me of an incident at Angus Barn: I remarked that I was very full after eating less than half of my plate. Kevin's response was, "Then why don't you stop eating?" Smart child!

We picked up a sale flier as we walked out of ToysRUs on Friday. I pulled out a yellow highlighter from my purse and suggested that he circle the toys which interest him. He did that, but he took it a bit further -- just like his Mommy! He drew a unique Kevin-style check-mark beside the toys we saw in the store, plus he colored over the toys that he does not want.

Another incident I neglected to blog is one which I did not experience, but Steve posted on his Facebook Wall. While we were at ToysRUs, Steve was working upstairs. He heard some noise downstairs, but did not think too much about it. When he returned to the kitchen, this is what he found --

I think he looks INNOCENT!!!!

Guinness's exploits are worthy of their own blog -- http://dogsofourlives.blogspot.com/

Karin's cousin, Marsha, wrote a beautiful story/tribute about Karin's clothes which we posted to Karin's Updates blog -- http://karinupdates.blogspot.com/2009/01/another-tribute-to-karin.html. Like Karin, she is a gifted writer. Marsha currently has a blog -- http://www.lifeina-town.com -- about everyday things with a twist wringing out a nugget of truth. As we were driving home, I received an email of a comment she made on my grandma's blog post, "Black Friday," concerning Karin's grave: "The flowers are lovely but make me feel terribly sad as the anniversary of Karin's Home-going draws near.
'My hope is in the Lord
Who gave Himself for me,
And paid the price of all my sin at Calvary.
For me He died, For me He lives,
And everlasting life and light He freely gives.'
"Yes, 'everlasting life and light' - that truth does cheer me. (I can almost hear Karin cheering from Heaven.) :') "
I CAN and have heard Karin cheering from Heaven!!!

We are steeling ourselves for the upcoming anniversary. I have been considering how to commemorate the day. Since we sang carols to her the last three days, I thought of having a caroling party, but Grant didn’t like the idea. He thought we should be alone and go out to dinner – always his manner for marking an event! Then we thought of inviting local friends and family to come over that evening for cookies and eggnog or something, but, if I did that, they would feel obligated, and I didn’t want that. I prayed that God would send friends to us on that day, expecting to repeat that prayer many times before the advent of December 15. That very day, Grant encountered two young women who followed Karin’s blog of Kevin faithfully, the The Faulkner Five, and then her Updates blog. They asked if we were having a mass said for Karin that day and that they would like to attend. Grant told them that Protestants, unfortunately, do not do that. Then he invited them and their husbands to join us for dinner! They responded that they wanted to be with us that day but did not want to be presumptuous to suggest that. God provided!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is the perfect solution, to have friends join you for dinner! I am sure the dinner will be a very positive experience for everyone as you share stories and memories. I am so glad you will be doing this. Even though Karin is your daughter, you shared her with so many of us who continue to love her and you. This will be a special evening and Karin will enjoy it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE your huge sunroof! I will not buy another car/suv without one. We use it daily here in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete