Monday, December 28, 2009

Grandma's Birthday

This morning, a sweet little boy awakened me at 8 AM by whispering, "Happy Birthday" in my face! A few minutes later before we had stirred from bed, Greg called to wish me a happy birthday! He always calls, but usually not first thing in the morning. That is what Karin did. She often awakened us on our birthdays. Grant's birthday in April was sadder this year than we ever imagined, because there was no call. Having Kevin here and Greg's early call was the medicine I needed for today!

Greg told us this morning that Kien was out of sorts yesterday. He cried and cried over nothing all day. He missed Grandma and Grampy! :) How sweet!

Grant gave me a birthday card with three tickets to The Nutcracker tomorrow!!!! WOW!

Kevin opened another gift from us this morning for him to play with at our house this week: A Color Explosion Glow Board. It was a hit! He spent the morning coloring with crayons, markers, and the Glow Board.



I opened the cupboard to pull down a mixing bowl, and Kevin said he saw Leia Rose (a dear friend) in my cupboard. I reopened it and asked what he meant. He explained that he saw Leia Rose's reflection in the stainless steel bowl which was actually my reflection, but he thought it looked like Leia Rose. I stupidly took a picture of my reflection, which only shows the camera in front of my face! ha!

Kevin helped to mix up the tuna salad for our sandwiches.

We prepared the sandwiches and placed them on the table in the dining room, then returned to the kitchen to begin making Rice Krispie Treats while waiting for Grampy to come home. We heard a commotion, ran to the dining room to find that Guinness had eaten Kevin's sandwich and had the napkin in his mouth. I tried to snap a picture of this goofy dog, but he runs pretty fast, though you can see the Christmas napkin in his mouth.

This afternoon, Kevin wanted to color in his bedroom insisting that the sewing machine cabinet could be moved into a better position for his purposes. sigh. Grandma is not about to cause a meltdown when we are a week away from going home... Sooo... he got his way.

Meanwhile, Grandma napped on Kevin's bed. When I awoke, Kevin announced, "I reorganized your house!" He had unplugged most of the Christmas lights: the roping on the banisters, the Christmas tree, the mantle decorations, the Christmas village, turned off several room lights, and closed my laptop -- all in the name of saving energy!!! Oh, my...

Tonight, we ate birthday dinner at our club down the street.

Daddy informed me that, as he packed Kevin's suitcase, he realized that Kevin is in desperate need of new pants, socks, and PJs. After dinner we headed to the mall. Great time to shop! NO one was there and the prices were slashed, yet we still spent over $300, but we have a well-dressed boy!

Back home with a bath before bed.

2 comments:

  1. Nina,
    Kevin will remember this forever! As I read your post, I am reliving my childhood! My parents used to drop me off at my Grandpa's house in Quebec city on their way to Montreal. My grand father would take me to nice restaurants, to the mall, walking in old QC city and for lunch at Chateau Frontenac! 25 years later, the memories are just as vivid as the day we were there and I cherish them!
    You are the closest thing to his Mama so that's even more special!
    Have a wonderful week with Kevin!! He is a blessed little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Nina! Looks like the best gift is time with Kevin!!! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete