Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bats, Bike, and Boy

I went into the "Chautauquan Daily" office today to see all the photos taken of Kevin on the playground. Not sure why the photographer chose the one she did. There were better ones, I thought. At $15 each, I only bought two.

Kevin asked why I chose one showing only his back, yet his friend's face is visible. :) I told him that it shows action. They were being quite crazy on a piece of equipment that seemed a bit dangerous to me!

Our stay is coming to a close. I had to take a picture of the "bent" fence at the front of our condo. I wonder how that happened?!


Today was carnival day at Kevin's program. Apparently, the most popular event was the "kiddy car wash" where they soaped up the kids with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and moved them along a Slip N Slide for various stages of wash.

On the way home this afternoon, he wanted to take the water route again. What a fun path when we aren't in a hurry! I'm glad he didn't discover this until almost the end of his two weeks here! We spent some time skipping stones also.









Grandma had to take a picture of the dirty face at the end.

Three times, we have tried to buy a glow-in-the-dark bat T-shirt. Finally, today the store was open and their stock replenished! Kevin is wearing the shirt in this picture.

Here it is in the dark!

If we are out at twilight, we see bats swooping high over us and sometimes close to us. They really DO look like butterflies flitting around! I didn't understand that analogy until a couple of days ago.

I made ham and broccoli quiche for dinner. Kevin didn't think that sounded like an appealing option, but this kid has a taste for good food! He loved it and wanted more.

Tonight, we went back with the bike to the wooded path and level streets to practice. Kevin is not comfortable yet with going fast on an incline. He did better the first time than tonight. I can't take pictures when I when assisting him (plus have Guinness on a leash), but I took some shots as I walked this way recently. I'm not sure the gentle slopes can be adequately seen in these pictures.



I love this walkway! On a hot day, the temperature difference entering the woods is dramatic!

The closest entrance point to Chautauqua from our condo, which is off property, is the recreation building directly across the street. But they close between 5 and 8 PM, so it is not always an option to use. They closed at 8 tonight, so we had to return from our bike practice by 8. Then we practice on the level parking lot on the street side of the building. Once we were out of the property, dogs who are friends of Guinness's, appeared at doggie park. Kevin was devastated that we couldn't get into doggie park. He even climbed very high on a 10 foot fence trying to get in there, followed by a meltdown. So sad... Later, as we headed for home, we saw a young girl magically walk through the fence on the far side of the building. I asked how she did that! She showed us a narrow space at a brick post to squeeze through. Kevin and I could do it, but I'm not sure Guinness could. But interesting to know for the future! A couple of times, we have taken the shuttle to the recreation building only to discover the building was locked.

1 comment:

  1. SUCH a beautiful setting!!! : ) (Have I ever told you the story of how Leia always thought the "Lost Kiddy Area" at the fair meant the Lost "Kitty" Area?!? She always wanted to go there. LOL. Just wondering if Kevin made that error, too? (i.e. kitties on the slip & slide?) LOL.

    ReplyDelete