Sunday, July 11, 2010

Strawberry Sunday

Since I was in the Choir, Vanessa and Angela babysat Kevin. Look what they let him do! :-0

They brought him to Morning Worship in the Amphitheater.


After the service, we saw the Strawberry Princess inviting everyone to the Strawberry Festival on the Plaza.





Monday's "Daily Chautauquan" had a photo of the Choir Sunday morning with ME! :)
Back row on the right, big mouth.

After lunch, Vanessa and Angela left us. Kevin and I went shopping. We needed some groceries, a hair cut for Kevin, and some T-shirts as Daddy sent only collared shirts. He must have assumed Chautauqua was more high-brow than T-shirts. Kevin fell asleep on the way to the Jamestown Mall, so I drove around the city reviving old memories of 38 years ago. I saw the hospital where Karin was born and the library out of which I drove the Library Caravan to migrant workers' children for storytime. We accomplished our errands plus Grandma was coerced into buying THREE packages of Silly Bands -- glow in the dark, glitter, and rainbow. Then came home for dinner.

Monday through Friday, children from age 3 to Kindergarten are in The Children's School for their program. Grades 2 through 6 are in The Boys' and Girls' Club. Rising first graders are called "Group One," and do half and half: mornings at The Children's School and afternoons at The Boys' and Girls' Club. The schedule this week will be --
8:15 - leave the condo to walk to Alumni Hall where I have a class that begins at 8:30 and Kevin picks up the bus.
8:37 - Kevin gets on the bus taking him to The Children's School, and I go to my class late.
Noon - I pick up Kevin at The Children's School and we go home for lunch.
1:30 - We have to start walking to The B & G Club down on the lakeshore to be there by 2:00.
4:00 - I pick up Kevin, and we continue our day.

I thought it was important that we walk through the whole thing and show him the two locations where his program will be held. He was not as interested in keeping on track as he was in finding other things to do along the way.

At The Children's School, he tried to climb over the fence to get to the playground.

He asked me to take his picture with this vista of the boats.

We encountered the painter I saw a few days ago while walking Guinness. Kevin was interested to see his work and the actual place he is depicting in paint.

See the red on the dock? That is Kevin lying on his stomach enjoying the water view.

Once I finally got him to follow me again, he was singing made up songs ad infinitum. I couldn't catch all his words, but something about winter being beautiful and fish in the sea. He is such a good boy, yet in walking along, he does so many things that are no-nos -- like walking on people's lawns, wiggling their birdbath, attempting to bend a sapling tree -- things that drive a Grandma crazy!!! Why can't he keep his hands to himself??!!!

Guinness came with us. When we came close to the lake at one point, he was going to drag me into the lake, so I had to let him go. It was over his head there, so he had his very first swimming experience! I was far too busy to pull out my camera, as he became entangled in the roping and bobs around the public swimming beach. Thankfully, no one was there swimming and I could reach the roping from the shore! Beyond that, he was still over his head and beside a cement retaining wall. There were steps off a dock adjacent, but to get him to go to the steps, I had to go down them with my sneakers on to guide him out. Whew!

We continued our travels, showing Kevin Palestine Park -- a geographically correct replica of The Holy Land complete with little cities, Jordan River, Dead Sea, and the lay of the land from North to South.

After looping around The B's & G's Club, we walked through the woods and experienced Thunder Bridge. We continued on to the Amphitheater and heard the Choir singing. Since I no longer had a babysitter, I could not sing in the Song Service tonight. We stood outside the gates with Guinness and listened to a couple of songs.

Next stop was The Refectory for ice cream. We tied Guinness to a bench, then sat with him to eat our ice cream.


It was twilight as we walked home, so the bats were coming out! We saw them high in the trees and then flying over our heads as we walked to the gate on the way to our condo.

Kevin colored some bats earlier in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment