Friday, July 1, 2011

Grandma Became a Canadian on Canada Day

Kevin wanted to comb his own hair, and left the bathroom with a Mohawk!

Yesterday at Rotary, I offered a "happy dollar" saying that "this morning is the last time I will sing 'O Canada' as a non-citizen." A joshing friend immediately called out, "Do we get to vote?" LOL Four of my Rotary friends came to my ceremony at the public park where Canada Day celebrations were centered. Melanie and her family came, and Kevin hung out with them until the ceremony began.

Waiting at the park to check in.

We took the oath of citizenship from Peter Appleyard -- http://www.peterappleyardvibes.com/.
I think I am the only one of the 31 who brought a "holy book" to swear upon. I brought Karin's Bible we bought her for her 16th birthday.

My turn to go to the stage.

Receiving my documents from the Honorable Peter Appleyard. He had quite a chat with me -- mainly about my name and sang a song from the 50s about Nina.

Note that Kevin was my photographer (along with Melanie and Grant). He took many of my photos.

The others in the line were Mike Wallace (my Conservative Member of Parliament), Joyce Savoline (my Progressive Conservative Member of Provincial Parliament and her husband is on the Music Festival Board with me). They noted my young fan (as seen in this pic also) and gave me extra pins for him as well!

Gary Carr (Chairman of Halton Region), Tom ? (a coordinator of the event), Rick Goldring (Mayor), and an RCMP officer. This was taken by Kevin!

The notable dignitary present was The Honorable Lincoln Alexander, a personal friend of Grant's.

I told him I was initially disappointed that I was not being sworn in in Ottawa where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were today, but I was delighted to have him as my dignitary. He said that he was hoping to be sent to Toronto today. ha!

We went to the Club to celebrate Grandma's day with champagne.

Kevin had a Shirley Temple champagne. He does not like bubbly drinks, but he did drink some of this one.

It was such a beautiful day today, we got out the old pool, disinfected it and filled it. Guinness was excited about it too, but before I could take his picture, he disappeared!!! We couldn't find him on our condo property, so I went to the front sidewalk where many people were passing on their way to and from the Canada Day celebrations at the park. Some passersby said they saw him on the other side of the major highway, beyond the underpasses! I found him there in a cloverleaf!!!! I will never be able to leave him unleashed again!!!

Kevin helped me feed all my flowers. He did a GREAT job!
This evening, Melanie's family came to park behind our place to go to the fireworks. The boys played in the yard a bit before they walked to the park.

We waited until almost time for the fireworks before we went. Awesome!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment