Friday, July 15, 2011

A Summer Day

Kevin slept in this morning. I checked on him around 9:30 to make sure he was breathing! It was after 10 before he awakened! He shut his bedroom door and told me not to enter. Then he made me close my eyes and led me in.

Not only had he made the bed perfectly, with his own twist on the pillows, but he reversed the comforter. It had been on the blue side and he switched it to the floral side. Note the little New Testament in the middle of the bed. That is the one we gave Karin in her Easter basket when she was 4. It is now Kevin's.

When I pulled out the little table and chair for Kevin's art center before he arrived, I thought -- this is becoming too small for him. Yesterday, he mentioned the chair was too little. He suggested he could sit on the patio hassock instead. He is still sitting in the too-small-chair eating his breakfast and watching "Pippi Longstocking."

While I was taking Guinness for a potty run, Kevin came out and screamed down the backyard stairs. He said there was a cockroach there. It was the exoskeleton of a locust! Once he knew what it was, he wanted to take a picture.

He decorated Mommy's garden statue with fresh blooms. Grampa liked that!

We practiced piano. One of his assignments is to create animal sounds -- one in a high note range and one in a low note range. Yesterday, we heard a cardinal sing and I repeated the song for him saying we could find those notes for the cardinal song. At home, I sang the tones and he found the corresponding keys on the piano. Today, he was messing around and made a trill. I said, "That sounds like a bumblebee!" So now he has his two animal sounds!

By 3:30 this afternoon, he desperately wanted to go swimming. Open swim had ended at our local pool, so we checked the recreation booklet to see what pools might be open Friday afternoon and found one -- an outdoor pool with waterslide! So off we went to find it. In this city, every child must be tested by a lifeguard each time they come to make sure they are safe for the pool. As the lifeguard began testing him, she suddenly turned to me and said, "Is this Kevin?!" as she whipped off her sunglasses revealing she is Kevin's swim instructor at the other pool!

Kevin is standing in line mid-way on the stairs.

He went down this slide a zillion times in the 2 hours we were there and only went off the diving board twice.


Kevin and Aliyah playing rock, paper, scissors, shoot.

I am behind in publishing blog posts this week as Kevin wanted to edit them before posting, so we did that just before bed. He changed a verb tense, didn't like a couple of terms because they were words unfamiliar to him, and other valuable contributions. Then as we were going up the stairs to bed, he commented about the blog noting the cute things he says. LOL BTW, he did not like my title for today's post -- "A Day in the Life..." He gave it another title!

Grant asks repeatedly why I do this. I do it for Karin! I do it for Karin's friends. I do it to create a blog book for Kevin and Kien and Gabe. It will preserve memories for them they would otherwise not have.

3 comments:

  1. Before I read "why you do this," I was already planning to write that Karin would be so proud of you. (As she ALWAYS was!) She would love to know that you are continuing to share about Kevin's life and would really LOVE to know that he was editing the posts. She always said he was her little manager! Maybe she would change that now to her little editor! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so important for you to write this blog. It does honor Karin, keeps her friends involved in her family, and preserves memories. I wish I had recorded events for my family as you are doing for your grandchildren.

    Looks to me like the exoskeleton is that of a cicada rather than a locust. Kevin would love to hear the natural history of the cicada. I don't know which one is in your area but in SC this year, we have had the 7-year cicadas coming up. Fascinating critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful that you continue to do this. I love that I can continue to watch Kevin grow up amd keep up with the Walsh family. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete