Monday, July 25, 2011

THE Helper!

Grampa had told him to never go in front of the bushes of our yard, though he has permission to roam the driveway and backyard.

After the recycle truck came today, I saw a blond head at the street. By the time I opened the front door, Kevin was coming up the steps with our recycle bins. It WAS him at the street!!! I didn’t reprimand him at that moment, but thanked him, thinking he was done.

Then I realized he was missing! I checked the back. Other doggie parents from our condo townhomes were there and told me he was bringing in everyone’s recycle bins! :-0 I ran to the front; couldn’t find him; ran to the back; one of the dog parents said he had sent him home. When I found Kevin, I instructed him to compare the number on each bin with the number on the townhouse, and sent him off to do that. He said they were all right.

Oh, my.... the neighbors got a real hoot out of Kevin's willingness to help! One asked if Kevin could carry their garbage TO the street every Sunday evening and begin a lucrative business! Another wrote, "A very personable young man." That he is!

He even hosed out our bins when he returned them to the garage! And he said he helped someone else wash out their bins too, because "they were stinky."

Shortly after seeing my grandson at the street, I had Guinny in the sideyard with us without his leash. I turned my back to him for no more than two seconds, and he was GONE! I heard cars beeping their horns on the street and ran! Yep! Guinny was at the side of our busy road! The poor dog is not getting his daily exercise with Kevin here. Instead of five big walks per week, he is getting only one. Apparently, he is trying to take himself for a walk!

I am still giving Kevin the cough syrup per instructions. He does not like the taste of it, but it very good about taking it anyway. He has to have a large glass of water in one hand and the medicine cup in the other to take it. Today, he reminded me of Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz" saying, "There's no place like home." With the same vocal inflection, he repeated, "Smells like Gatorade. Smells like Gatorade," trying to convince himself it would be OK before drinking it.

We pulled my hula hoop out of the garage. I can still do it!!! And he had fun trying.


We went swimming at the pool which he says has a shorter distance for their swim test. He almost failed it because he did a dog paddle with his arms instead of doing a crawl stroke. The lifeguard was kind and gave him a second chance. If he would do half the distance again using the crawl stroke, she would pass him, and he did.

Having fun in the shallow end.

Kevin was in a bit of a strange mood today. He refused to concentrate on practicing piano. At lunch, he disobeyed Grampa when reprimanded for playing with his fork) and then again at dinner for trying to push his fork through a woven hole in his placemat. But he did eat THREE helpings of mac & cheese with cauliflower!!! My recipe which makes wonderfully rich mac & cheese is done in a slow cooker.

After dinner fun:

Some of our trees have developed branches which hang low enough to hit our heads. Kevin was a wonderful assistant as I pruned them.

We played ball again tonight. He is really enjoying playing and is doing quite well at pitching, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment