Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kevin is Smarter than Grandma!

Guinness has been missing out on his exercise routine of going to doggie park daily. We went this morning with Kevin riding his bike. We did not run into any friends today for Guinness, but the climbing trees are favorite friends for Kevin! I asked him if he prefers climbing a tree or a jungle gym. He didn't know which one he likes better.

Note the thumb!


There were lots of maple seeds on the ground. Kevin was playing with them, and I reminded him that they fly like helicopters, but they refused to twirl! I was confused. They are supposed to spin when you throw them. We tried thowing different ways. Finally, one spun as it fell. The next one did not. Kevin declared why! When there is a breeze, they are helicopters; without a breeze, they do not twirl. What a smart boy!

As we walked further, he saw berries and asked what kind of tree it was. I said, "It is a pine tree; it doesn't have berries," and pointed out the pinecones near the top. He insisted it had berries and showed them to me. Sure enough! There were black berries under the tree and among the pine needles! ?? I was stumped for a minute, then I noted there is a mulberry tree trunk about a foot from the pine tree trunk! A mulberry tree had grown up in the middle of the pine tree! Again, he stumped Grandma!

We don't have many lunch choices in the house, so I suggested we go to the mall for a crepe at a small counter in the middle of the mall. He chose a Hawaiian one. Watching them being made was as much fun as eating it! And he ate every crumb of the large crepe plus a couple of bites of Grandma's!

Then we began our errands: a car wash, followed by the library. He moved up one more level on the summer reading program. We found more books and videos to keep him busy. On the way to the car, he asked if he could play on the playground. We still needed to grocery shop, but Grandma was ready to drop. I said, "You may if I can have a nap!" I pulled my folding chair out of the car, sat under a tree and had a glorious nap while the boy had fun on the playground.

Tonight was our third skating night. He improves a bit each week! Tonight he finally was able to stop "walking" and would push and glide. Also he did more skating without the cage. Terry brought an old jersey of his as a player on a farm team for Kevin to wear.

At the end, I held his hand and we skated around the entire rink!
After we had our shoes back on, the Zamboni was coming out on the ice. Kevin tells that when the Zamboni driver came close to him, he stuck out his hand and they touched each other!!! Cool!

When we arrived home, neighbors were outside enjoying the great weather, and we chatted with them. One was polishing his Porsche. Kevin asked if he was putting sunscreen on it. The next I knew, he was helping to wipe the car. :-0
The neighbors all think Kevin is a scream. I am allowing him to leave my yard and roam the back property of our condo development. A couple of them told me tonight they had seen him out there alone and asked him if his grandma knew he was there. It is great to have watching, concerned neighbors!

He had a shower before bed. As he said goodnight to Grampa, he stated, "Don't mess up my hair." He is becoming quite aware of his hair, wants to comb it himself, and I showed him how to hold a hand mirror to see the back of his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment