Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Swimming, Slip-up, and Skating

This morning, Grandma had her first Rotary Board meeting as a new Director of Communications. So Grampa babysat which meant Grampa had to prepare his breakfast and drive him to VBS this morning. Breakfast consisted of -- cereal, a banana, milk, and a piece of PIE!!!! Oh, my... Apparently, after the cereal, he said he was still hungry. Then after the banana, he was STILL hungry. So what comes next? Pie, of course -- strawberry rhubarb!

At VBS, their craft today was a Spoon Critter.


Grampa keeps telling me I should find a pool and swim lessons for Kevin. He says swim lessons are more important then ice skating. Soooo... I sought out our closest city pool, we visited after VBS, learned there is open swim from 1:30-3:30 MWF, and learned about lessons. We returned after lunch at 1:30 to swim. He noted the warning Mommy Kinga has given him about not swimming after eating. I assured him, it had been long enough and he would be fine. ;-)

We signed him up for four weeks of private lessons beginning tomorrow. A lifeguard gave him a swim test to assess his abilities as the entire pool is over his head. He was determined to be a good enough swimmer to go in the deep end alone. Grandma didn't have to get wet! Yay!

He spent the entire time in the deep end jumping off the diving board or playing Tarzan on the rope!


Grandma received a call this morning that I have an MRI scheduled in Aug. Since it was a surprise, I made an appointment with my doctor to find out the particulars. I thought it was at 3:10 today (I guess I was eager).

I told Kevin we had to leave the pool at 2:30. He swam the ENTIRE length of the pool from the deep end to the shallower end! I am SOOO impressed with his swimming abilities! He has improved greatly since I saw him swim last summer!

Well... we got to the doctor's office on time to discover the appointment is for tomorrow! ugh! Ditzy Grandma!!! However, they said if I could wait a half hour, they could fit me in. So we waited; we walked across the parking lot to a convenience store and bought ice cream -- a Drumstick, his first, I think!

I had a yummy Breyer's almond crunch bar! He insisted on taking my photo -- with my frizzy humid indoor swimming pool hair! And this is a pretty good photo of my collarbone lump too... :\

AND he talked Grandma into buying him a battery operated helicoper. When Grandma goofs, she has to make it up!

Tonight was our ice skating night! I forgot my camera and phone; Melanie did not come, but Terry was there to give him more pointers. Terry also brought a picture autographed by a famous hockey player he knows -- "TO Kevin, Best wishes! Your Pal, Mark Visentin."

Kevin is definitely improving!!! I could count on one hand the times he fell tonight. He took off without his cage several times also. He is still trying to walk, and I am still encouraging him to push with one skate and glide. He can push with his right foot and glide on the left for the width of the rink. Now we need to learn to push with the left foot too. Even though I am only moving around the beginning skater's area with Kevin for the past two weeks, I can see definite improvement in my own skating!

1 comment:

  1. So....I assume the MRI is related to the collar bone bump? I trust all will be well! xo

    ReplyDelete